Sunday, December 7, 2014

Grinch Day Plans!

Next week my first grade colleague and I will be holding our second annual "Grinch Day" for our first graders! We are so excited and have even more planned this year. We plan Grinch related activities with a reading of the book How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss. We then show the students the cartoon version of the book while they enjoy cookies and hot cocoa.

Today I wanted to share some of the Grinch related activities I have created. The first is a color-by-code Grinch pack with addition and subtraction. This is a great way to engage students in practice of skills. Check it out here! I will use this as a review of skills on the last week before winter break.
The next activity is a Grinch Sequence of Events Cut & Paste pack. Included in the pack is a picture sequence cut and paste activity. The students will color each picture, cut them out, then glue them in the proper order. These are fun to make into hats too! I have glued them onto sentence strips then stapled them together. There are also accompanying writing pages included in the pack. Check it out here!


I also will have my students review math skills with Grinch board games! I have created a pack of 4 games for my students to practice addition and subtraction. These are great to use with a parent volunteer. I have the students roll a die and use counting cubes as game pieces. I have them use white boards to write the expressions as number sentences to solve. For my more advanced students, I have them write a related fact on their boards to go with the expression. Click here to get the Christmas Math Grinch board games.


What special things happen in your classroom to celebrate the Holidays?

1 comment:

  1. I am unable to find the sequence cut & paste and math game boards on TpT. I'd like to purchase them for my students. Please advise. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete